Essential elements for healthy body
Even though the subject matter of this series is juice diet, it is essential to discuss certain essential elements which are themselves the main body building blocks necessary for good health.
We consume food to keep our body active and healthy. One thing we ought to realize is that man can select proper diet only when he knows what constituents of food are necessary for healthy body. Then one should eat only that food, the constituents of which are congenial to one.
These constituents should rejuvenate the body besides maintaining health. Diseases are caused because of deficiencies of some of these essential constituents. If we know this, we shall never eat dispensable food.
We need to cultivate this kind of understanding of and view-point on the system and substance of diet.
With a view to making our lives happy, with healthy and active body, our daily diet should normally consist of the following constituents:
- Carbohydrates : The most important function of the carbohydrates is to provide fuel and energy to the body. The carbohydrates include sugar and starch. This constituent of food is available from all kinds of food grains (cereals). Flour devoid of husk, polished rice, white sugar etc., retain their carbohydrates but loose most of the vitamins and minerals. Processed carbohydrates (if taken in excess) reduce the power of digestion and place unnecessary pressure on other organs of the body. Therefore we should try to reduce from our diet the quantum of processed food except few substances containing natural carbohydrates.
- Fat : Fat provides heat to the body. Vegetable fats (oil seeds, edible oil) are preferable, because they are better digested and comparatively harmless, in comparison to animal fats (milk, meat, etc). Animal fats have saturated fatty acids cause accumulation of bad cholesterol in the arteries, narrowing the path of blood. In such situation diseases like high blood pressure and heart disease can occur. You are therefore advised to take food with less fats or food prepared with vegetable oils containing unsaturated fats.
- Protein : Proteins are necessary for the growth, development and reconstruction of the body. It is therefore of great importance in our diet. Several types of amino acids constitute proteins. It is worth noting that our bodies produce some amino acids, while the rest are obtained from food.
- Vitamins : Vitamins are organic chemical substances required in the body for the process of metabolism. Our bodies are not capable of producing these substances. Vitamins are named by coded letters like Vitamin ‘A’, Vitamin ‘B’, and so on. Description and use is better obtained from your physician.
- Minerals : A mineral, according to Cyclopaedia Medical dictionary, is a solid inorganic element or compound occurring in nature. Minerals are essential for the formation of cells of the body. They are essential for maintaining optimal health. They play a very important role in the complex processes going on in the body. Again the use of minerals should be advised by your physician. It is especially important ll for the old people (over 50 years) to be particularly careful about minerals.
- Enzymes : An enzyme is a catalyst produced in the live cells. Enzyme aids chemical changes in the body. In dictionaries, catalyst is described as a substance which causes or assists a chemical change in another substance without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change. Enzymes help in the digestion of foods. Please seek more explanations and advise from your physician.
If you find this article interesting, please donate.
Donations can be made via PayPal using the button below.